Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Last Couple of Days

Friday was a good day, though somewhat frustrating at times.  I was up with David for a couple hours during the night (and then was able to go back to sleep), so I was still asleep when I got a call from Gary John, just checking in on us and seeing how we are all feeling (he knew we were battling colds).  I thanked him for his call and then promptly rolled over and tried to go back to sleep.  But then shortly thereafter I got a call from his wife, who offered to bring us over dinner!  At that, I was awake and I got up and ready for my day.   

I got a few things around the apartment done, and then I had to go and meet Alexander from BSU to work on immigration and country registration paperwork.  This was the frustrating part of the day.  We spent a good 3+ hours going around town to different places, providing documents, and trying to convince them to approve me and my family.  In the end, they registered us, but they told us we would be unable to get temporary residence clearance or multi-entry passports because we did not have an original marriage license, our original birth certificates didn’t have an embossed stamp (Utah birth certificates have these new computer chip sticker things), and we didn’t have sufficient numbers of original copies of letters from UVU and the Fulbright office, confirming my employment/grant status.  Even the international affairs guy from BSU that was helping me was unaware of these requirements.  

In the end, we had no choice but to leave and try to get what they are now requiring and go back next week.  So as soon as I got back to the apartment, I sent out emails to people at UVU, the Fulbright office, and a neighbor, each who could help us get these documents.  I am still not sure what we will do about the birth certificates.  Anyway, the bureaucracy was extremely frustrating, but it is what it is and we just have to find a way to provide them with what they now say they require.   

After sending off those email requests, we all went down to the playground area and the kids played for an hour or so (the weather was gorgeous!), before heading back up to get cleaned up and be ready for when the Johns delivered dinner.  They brought by delicious homemade chicken noodle soup, rolls, and cookies!  It was all very delicious, and I know Jacque enjoyed not cooking!  After dinner, the kids did their normal evening bedtime routine and went to bed around 7.  Jacque and I then had a relaxing evening together. 

Saturday was a nice day.  We had a pretty typical morning and then we packed everyone up and headed over to the Korona for shopping and for the kids to try out a fun zone place we heard about from our realtor.  So while Jacque did the shopping, I was with the kids at a sort of Chuck-E-Cheeses-like place.  Kaylie wouldn’t really do anything (other than just hang out with me and David), but the three older kids had a great time!  They played hard for an hour or so while Jacque shopped, and then when she was finished it was time to head home. 





We grabbed lunched, and then I was off to BSU for an afternoon meeting.  I met with Igor and we talked more in detail about all of the various classes and activities I will be involved with over the summer, but particularly over the next couple of weeks.  We also talked MBA strategic planning and accreditation, some about faculty research, and a lot about teaching in this national context.  Given the nature of some of the topics in my course, I have had concerns about how openly I can discuss different issues, but Igor reassured me that as long as I am not directly challenging the administration, I am free within a higher educational context to openly discuss and even challenge/critique some of the public policy/practices (again, as long as I am not inciting student to anti-government action or directly challenging the current administration).  Of course I don’t want to do or say anything that will negatively impact my family, the university, or the church during my stay.   

 


After the meeting I came back home and I took the 4 girls to the park (which they loved as usual).  Then it was dinner and bedtime routine for the kids.  The older three did not want to go to bed, particularly since they got a peak of Jacque and I eating ice-cream bars as part of our in-house date night.  We actually had yummy ice-cream bars, some delicious cookies, and we watched Hairspray.  It was a fun evening.  And as everyone actually slept through the night, we all slept well too!

Today has been another successful Sunday!  We got everyone up and ready in time to meet the female and senior volunteers at the nearby metro station (they kindly offered to help us find the church again this week!).  After a good 45 minutes of subway and walking, we got to the church building and again were kindly greeted by everyone in the Minsk branch.  Church this week was much more enjoyable for all of us (probably had something to do with the fact that we all are much better rested and more acclimated to everything here)!  The kids had a great time in primary and Jacque and I were together for Sunday School and the combined Priesthood/Relief Society meeting.  Things ended a little late and then we made the way back to the apartment.  We watched a conference talk and sang primary songs, had some dinner, and soon we will Skype with family.  Another successful Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment