Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Downtown Minsk and Independence Square

The last two afternoons we took advantage of the beautiful weather and took some trips to see sites around town.  Yesterday we took the metro downtown and then spent the next couple hours enjoying the the gorgeous architecture; there are so many cool buildings and parks, even right downtown.  Around 5:30 we found a place to sit and I went and grabbed some McDonald’s for dinner (packed as always, so I just got it to go and we ate outside).  We enjoyed dinner and then took the metro back to our apartment, where we did our normal nighttime routine and got the kids to bed.  

Old Catholic church building in downtown Minsk


Eating McDonald's!
 Today we ventured out to Independence Square.  That metro stop is huge and also connects with the train station and we basically got all turned around and lost for the first 20+ minutes.  But finally we found our way and enjoyed to beautiful public square.  Among other buildings, the main campus of Belarusian State University is there (though that is not where I will be teaching).



In the mall underneath Independence Square.

The fountain above the underground mall at Independence Square.

David being cute, with the Square in the background.


And there are more pictures of both outings here and here

1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed reading about your adventures! Reading this makes me think of my time in Russia and how I miss it. I hope things continue to go well and hopefully all the paperwork stuff works out. My brother had problems with that kind of stuff too when he was there. But anyway, it's been fun reading and seeing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete